Ok Ladies… let’s admit it… you usually won’t find any plus size formal dresses that look good in a regular clothing store.
There I said it…Come on ladies… we’ve all been there and we all know the stuff I’m talking about right?! Some full-figured women often have problems finding any special plus size dresses to fit their needs because some stores just don’t even offer them.
But the problem is… you’re still going to need a new plus size formal dress for that special occasion right?
It’s a good thing that today; there are special stores which cater specifically to the plus size woman. However, picking plus size formal dresses still won’t be that easy. Here are a few guidelines you need to consider when choosing that perfect plus size formal dress, to ensure that you’ll look good on that special day:
…If a store is full of muumuus and plus size formal dresses that would hide your best assets then…
1. Pick the store wisely. Not all plus size clothing stores were made equal. Most full-figured women have had the experience of walking into a plus size store filled with completely horrendous plus size clothes! If a store is full of muumuus and plus size formal dresses that would hide your best assets, it’s best to step back and walk away. There are some select plus size clothing stores that carry plus size formal dresses that are in style…but the majority…humm…well….you know!
2. Ladies you gotta know your body type. Knowing your body type is crucial to picking out that perfect plus size formal dress that looks good. If you don’t already know which body type you have, take a measuring tape and measure the three key areas of your body: the bust, waist and hips. A smaller waist and equal measurement of bust and hips makes you an hourglass. On the other hand, if you have broad shoulders, a larger bust, and smaller lower body (waist and hips), you’re an apple. Lastly, if your hips are bigger than both your bust and waist, you’re pear shaped.
So now that you know what you’re body shape is…Let’s discuss some suggestions and tips.
3. Dress for a pear shaped body. Pears should be mindful of making the top half of their bodies longer. A-line cut plus size formal dresses are best for pears because it flares out from the waist, disguising wide hips. Stay away from bottom-hugging plus size formal dresses as they tend to accentuate the widest part of your body. Pair your dress with shoes that have extra-high heels to elongate your legs.
4. Dress for an apple shaped body. Empire-waist plus size formal dresses are best for apples because it hugs at the smallest part of the waist, giving it more of a shape. V-necks elongate the top part of the body, and draw attention away from the midsection. Show off your legs with plus size formal dresses which falls just at the knee. Apples usually have thinner legs, making them perfect for shorter plus size formal dresses.
…It’s of the utmost importance when shopping for plus size formal dresses that you buy the correct size.
5. Dress for an hourglass shaped body. If you’re hourglass shaped, you have the curves to show off. Draw attention to your small waist by using a skinny belt. Make sure the belt you use is dressy enough to go with your plus size formal dress. A-line plus size formal dresses look good on this body type. It’s of utmost importance that you get a plus size dress in the correct size. Many women with this body type make the mistake of buying their plus size formal dress a size bigger to de-emphasize their curves. However, this will only add extra bulk to your frame. Get one in the right size, and have it tailored if possible to get the right fit.